[SEL] Spam> Conundrum/Puzzle/Stumped

Bruce Younger sluggo54 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 8 21:34:55 PDT 2009

Welp - problem mostly solved.  The *%$( thing is out of the receiver, anyway.  I drilled the composite adapter until I had enough of it out to thread a hacksaw blade through the receiver.  I am grateful the back side is as unimpeded as the front (it is on the back of my fifth wheel trailer).  I sawed the bolt off on one side, inside the receiver, as close to the rack as I could get it.  Then moved the operation to the other side of the rack and sawed the bolt again.  When I got it out, I found a rubbery plastic plug in the end of the rack that goes inside the receiver.  Molded into that plug are two square nuts, a bit smaller than the inside dimension of the square rack tubing.  One goes against each side of the tubing.  One side of this rubbery muck had gotten loose a bit, and allowed the nut on that side to turn maybe an 8th of a turn.  What happened was, the nuts got a bit "out of phase", and the loose one wedged firmly in place.

I will, when time permits, make up a wedge to go in along with all the other junk to keep the rack from wallowing about, then run a bolt completely through the entire structure, and nut it up on the outside.

My wholehearted thanks to all for suggestions and advice, both on and off list.  You are a great help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“OR bring it up this way and I'll use the JAWS and cut it off... Of

course you will probably need a new hitch, and maybe a new frame on the

vehicle.......

 --

Steve W.” I like his shifters, too.  “If you simply head out on your next trip with the carrier fully loaded down

the bolt will come out on its own in about 100 miles.

 Rick” ‘Zackly.  That’s what’s been scaring the whee out of me!

“Just four of them.

Bring it on over and we will have it out in a jiffy.

?

Alan in Michigan” Could have used them this morning, instead of the hour
spent with a hacksaw

Bruce Younger

05G HHC 313 RR Bn 3/67-4/68

Madison, SD

sluggo54 at hotmail.com

"There is no hunting like the hunting of a man and those that have hunted
armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."

E. Hemingway