[SEL] Flea Market Policy

Jim Hardman Jim at hardmanfamily.net
Mon Sep 7 06:17:28 PDT 2009

Patrick, thank you... very much... for the Rusty Iron Rally pictures!

I note that exhibitors seem to have little or nothing for sale.  Yes, a
couple engines have "for sale" signs, but there are no magnetos, oilers,
spark plugs, coil boxes, etc. laid out for informal trade or sale.  You
know... unloading excess stuff... "another man's treasure".

Some shows here in the states have separate flea market areas;  vendors
don't want competition from exhibitors.  Other shows are less formal and
allow exhibitors to sell as long as the offerings are subordinate to the
display and basically engine related.

It may be that "no sales from spaces" rules are common in shows world wide.
Rough & Tumble in Pennsylvania adopted these rules a couple years ago... and
coupled with a "no parking in spaces" rule, severely diminished show
attendance.  Shows like Coolspring, Bernardston and Dublin are informal,
unrestrictive and enjoy full attendance.

Living here in rural Vermont has logistical problems.  Going anywhere means
a long drive.  I no longer attend truly distant shows and wonder if
restrictive rules are common in successful shows.

Any comments would be welcome.  As long as I'm not pinching ulcers.

Jim    ... where the leaves are starting to turn to fall colors.