[SEL] Our annual show.

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Sat Sep 5 07:35:28 PDT 2009

Rob,
	I've been in the old car clubs, have owned at least 3 National
Senior prize winners (primarily restored by others not me) and have done
the whole car show thing.  I agree, there's nothing like engines for fun
and the folks that play with them.

	There are some great car folks out there and I'm not trying to
paint all with a brush (you know, one attorney is bad so they all must
be, etc).  But generally car folks view the world a bit differently than
the engine folks.  A little more aloof, will more quickly put down what
you have vs. what they have, will not try to point out the good in a
piece of iron (cars in this case) but will tend to point out the flaws,
etc.  I saw a couple of guys almost come to blows at a car show once and
it had to do with the lug nuts on a vehicle and one said they should be
cadmium plated and the other said they should be nickel plated.... You
would have thought the balance of world power rested with the outcome.

	Engine folks look at the beauty of a piece of iron, how it
works, runs and especially the love someone took with bringing it back
to life.  I don't care if its an LA IHC, a shoebox FM or what, if you
can tell the person is really enjoying their hunk of iron I want to look
at it and have a chat with them.

	I still have a few old cars.  I let them sit a lot though and
play with the iron that has flywheels.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY