[SEL] <snip>Now Antivirus and O.T.

S. Work swork at endacomm.com
Fri Oct 9 01:30:00 PDT 2009

Hi Jer,
  Odd that you have problems with AVG. I never had it to reset MY
Preferences in any way.
My schedules stay where I set them, And Scan options stay as I set them.
Even after a Full
Number Update  IE: 5.xxx - 6.xxx - 7.xxx etc.

  It actually sounds like your Laptop's HD is getting a bit flakey. 4 years
is a long time for a
2.5 Inch drive to last. Does your laptop have 2 drive capability? (Second HD
Port)
  If so. Check arround your local computer shops for a New/Good Used one of
ample capacity
Backup anything important to you, Or use a HD-Setup tool (Maxblast for
Maxtor's)
(Data Lifeguard for Western Dig.) etc, Usually manufacturer specific. But
Maxblast can be
purchased for use with any hd brand. I suggest those, Because they both have
a full partition
copy utility to backup/replace your current drive. XP Is Terrible about File
fragmentation
(All Windows vers since ME for that matter)

                               - Solution 1-  (Retaining all your data)
a)  Do the full Drive-2-Drive copy ( Usually takes about 2 minutes/Gig.) on
20 and under
about 1 Min/gig over 20.
b) Nuke (Recertify) your old drive, And either reverse the copy procedure,
Or leave the
old drive in as an Archival storage drive. It should last a good long time
in that role. My
Suspicion is that you are getting actual media damage to frequently
re-written areas of
the drive.
  One final note on the above. If at all possible Hook your 2.5" HD up on
your Desktop
(Via an adapter) to do these tasks. (The reasons are many but primarily Heat
problems)

                               - Solution 2-  (Losing all your current data)
a) Use the system recovery CD's/DVD's that came with the laptop to restore
it to factory
configuration (Asuming the drive passes the Preliminary tests)
b) Re-Install every program you use (Actually USE) and start it off fresh.

  You May have gotten some other computer advice from me in the past, So you
know I
know what I'm talking about and there isn't much point re-hashing just to
create more
distent among the other users here. If you need any further help on this,
Feel free to E-Mail
me off-list at
 swork at endacomm.com  or Endacomm10 at yahoo.com  (In Order of preference)

     Steve.
P.S. I use (and have used) AVG Free for many years now with NONE of the
problems you
wrote about. I Cannot say the same for Norton's , Avast , Defender , Or
Panda.
All the aforementioned brands have made countless appearances on my repair
benches !
  The only other one That seems to cause very little trouble is
Trend Micro's AV  (NOT the Internet Security suite). Which is the only other
AV Tool
I recommend to my Customers/Clients.

  < Looks like I can get long winded as well Huh ??>