[SEL] <snip>Now Antivirus and O.T.

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Thu Oct 8 04:25:24 PDT 2009

I'm the network antivirus and security administrator at work (a state agency)
I use Symantec Endpoint Protection at work, and one a couple of my home
computers.
I use their 360 protection on a home computer.
They've come a @#$ of a long ways in reducing overhead. Nothing at all
like it was a couple of years ago. The charts showing performance hits
blow Trend, McAfee and the others out of the water - they now have the
lowest performance hit of any of the major vendors.
They have completely redesigned the scanning engine. On SEP, you get the
deltas of the updates. The issue is that viruses and threats run into the
hundreds of thousands now - not like it was a few years ago. There are
literally over a thousand new variants/strains and threats found every day
now, some morph in hours, some with each new infection so the vendors are
having issues keeping up.
A co-worker here uses AVG at home but has admitted that he's found he
still needs to resort to other things when he's doing high-risk work
because, well, it's not kept up like the major players have. (most folks
will never be exposed to the sort of risks we are - although those who
like to visit certain sorts of sites will be much higher risk than any of
us!)
He's is very familiar with multiple protections and for heavy work, he
still prefers SEP and says it's less overhead than his home AVG.
I've not compared, but know that they have put a lot of work into reducing
their overhead and it shows here at work. Folks hardly notice the regular
scans now. And there are good reasons to do a FULL scan of all files each
week. Trust me on that, been doing this very thing since about 1989 - 20
years now. "The rules have changed" as they say, in the world of viruses
and other risks. Try dealing with rootkits, rogue browser helpers/phony av
apps, etc. You don't even want to consider your papa's antivirus in
today's world. Even with the very best of protection, what should be safe
web sites can and will infect your computer.
You need a GOOD FIREWALL, too - forget that Windows firewall shit, biggest
bunch of crap ever. Worthless. Even I can crack through it! For the full
protection, browsing protection, firewall, intrusion prevention, etc. - I
use the Symnantec product. At work, I can even decide what will run and
not run on your computer. Whitelist. If I don't want it to run, you can't
run it. If I don't want it in, it won't get in, and I can block your USB
devices by brand, model, etc. as well. I've rigged it so autorun.inf file
won't function, and you can't run DLL or EXE files from certain areas.
I've even built custom IPS signatures that look into packets and block
certain content.

Love those products!
I protect 28 servers and 350 workstations and notebooks.
At Principal, I did the same for 1,200 servers and 16,000 computers around
the globe. I used SAV CE there.

Bill
ITS4
Network Security Administrator
State of Iowa, Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation Services (IVRS)