[SEL] <snip>Now Antivirus and O.T.

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Wed Oct 7 14:50:15 PDT 2009

At 08:57 PM 07/10/2009, you wrote:
>Errr... given that Windows 1 came out in 1985
>  <massive snip>

Hi Guys 'n Gals,
         Prepare for one of those "long posts" that I'm known for. (There
is always the "Delete" key - bottom right on your keyboard.)

         Seeing as that the topic is steering toward antivirus software
maybe some of you could give me a few pointers.

         The computer that I use to connect to the net with is a 4 year old
Acer laptop and only has a "Celeron" processor (1733 Mhz with only 512
Mbytes memory - running Win XP Service Pack 3 with all the updates.)
         Yes, I do know that it is a "shitty" little computer but for now
it has to do.

         I've always been very aware and "up to date" on viruses (virii ?)
and used "Norton Antivirus" for many years but, a few years ago when I was
still on dialup, the Norton updates became just too big (more than 10
Mbytes) for a dialup connection and I installed "AVG Free". (I do not use
Microsoft's Firewall or Antivirus.)

         AVG worked very well for me but then they brought out ver.7 (I
think) and now with updates I'm on ver. 8.5.420.
         This damn programme has now spoilt all my "computer fun". It is a
total "memory hog".
         When I start up each morning the darn computer is useless for
about 10 minutes while AVG "does it's stuff". (In "Task Manager",
"performance" is "red lined" all this time and under "Processes" I can see
that it is AVG (and their "add on" - TeaTimer) that is hogging all my
resources) This "hogging of resources" is so bad that, if I open "Notepad"
(for example) and type a letter it takes about 5 seconds for the "letter"
to show on the screen.
         The next problem is that the "f%#*g" programme decides to run it's
daily scan and updates at 5:00pm every day - I change this often but the
next automatic update always "resets" it to 5:00 "f%#*g" pm. AVG seems to
think that all it's users are imbecilic idiots and, no matter what they
want everything is reset to what AVG's "f%#*g"
programmers deem best.
         On this computer that "scan" takes about 2 hours and in that time
(usually about time to check if the new "SEL" digest has arrived :-)). the
computer is totally useless - AVG is hogging everything. (I do know that I
can set "Scan Options" in case you are wondering).
         Other problems that I experience (on this computer) are:
         i) When saving a file using the "save as" command the windows
"save as - pop up" box takes ages to reach the stage where I can click on a
folder or directory - I suspect/assume that this is while "f%#*g" AVG makes
sure that I'm not opening a folder that has a virus in it - it seems to
scan the whole disk first instead of letting me choose a folder and then
only scanning that folder. After all, AVG has (previously) scanned
everything on my computer, why should it now waste all this (my) time just
to ensure that there is not a virus anywhere.
         ii) I used to have a problem with it's "f%#*g" email checking as
well but managed to disable that some time back. My ISP (as I'm sure many
others have) has a pretty good prog to sort out all the "nasty" email.

         O.K. those are my gripes - now for some answers from you guys.
Please note that I'm looking for "constructive" answers from knowledgeable
people.  If you want to post an answer then please give reasons for your
recommendation based on my post above. I'd really like to hear your reasons
as to why I should change to "such and such" an Antivirus programme.
         It has been recommended that I change to "Panda" or "Avast" but
nobody has given reasons.
         Paul mentioned Microsoft and gave good reasons but I'm
"Anti-Microsoft" (Hi Rob & Kelley - no I cannot change to Mac at this time
:-)) - should I lower my expectations and go for Microsoft and why ?

         All I want is a programme that does not consider me to be an
idiot. I want to be able to tell this programme what I (THE USER)  would
like it to do - not what the "f%#*g" programmer thinks I need and, if I
tell it to do "so and so" I do not want it to "reset" to what the "f%#*g"
programmer feels is best for me on every update.
         I also do not want it to hog all my resources while it is doing
it's job.

         I'm keeping an open mind here and asking for advice from guys who
know what "it's all about".

         FWIW - I have not had a virus on any of my computers for many
years - I put that down to "common sense" more than my choice of "Antivirus
Software".

         I've also been "connected" since the days of "Bulletin Boards" -
about 1991 - not as long as Paul but certainly not a "newbie" to the Internet.

         Hey Paul, I used to use "PC Tools" long before "Norton Commander"
and Symantec arrived on the scene. My first "computer" was a "Sinclair" - I
think it had the magnificent total of 1 Kbyte of memory before they brought
out the next version which had (again, I think) the magnificent total of 64
Kbytes of memory. That was a long time ago - now my engines are far more
important to me :-)
         The first virus I got was "Stoned" I'm sure you remember it! At
the time I was seriously stressed about it but, by todays standards  it was
harmless. There were no "Antivirus Programmes" in those days. I often
wonder if the "Antivirus" vendors are not the guys who write the viruses in
the first place.
         All for now, thanks to all who have read this far before hitting
the "delete" key.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>