[SEL] Oil Well Supply Engine

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Thu Oct 1 16:33:50 PDT 2009

Jim,

The half-breeds are really interesting beasts.  If you think about all of the
different steam engine makes that were operating in the early oil fields and then
cross that with all of the companies than made gas conversion cylinders (and other
supporting parts), you end up with literally thousands of different half-breed
combinations.  One of the more common (and pretty) early half-breeds combined the
Farrer & Trefts hog-trough steam bed with a Bessemer gas cylinder.  Here's a look at
mine...  http://www.oldengine.org/members/arnie/bessie.htm

(I really need to get some of the current pics of that engine onto the website!)

For more info on half-breeds, contact Coolspring.
http://www.coolspringpowermuseum.org/index.htm

They have a publication, Bores & Strokes, and one of the early issues was totally
about half-breeds.  Call 'em and order a copy.

See ya,  Arnie