[SEL] Big Waldo's Tune-Up

curt at rustyiron.com curt at rustyiron.com
Thu Nov 19 13:00:37 PST 2009

> Hi Curt,
> 	A GREAT article in GEM this month (Dec./Jan.) --and a GREAT job of
> getting the engine in running shape after all the years of trouble
> with "the damn old engine!" It's always nice to read something in GEM
> from a List member!
> 	Dave

Thanks Dave!

For our friends across the ponds who may not receive GEM, here are the
photos prepared for the article with some descriptions beside them.

So far this is the only of these Carl Anderson engines known to exist. It
would be great if some readers of GEM identified some others. That would
be pretty exciting.

At the bottom of this link are two videos. They aren't great, but this was
the highest resolution my old digital camera would take. One details the
skip mechanism while the engine is running. You can see the small electric
solenoid extending and retracting the pin in the skip mechanism. The other
shows the engine pulling the saw mill and sawing a large Poplar log. A
very fun day indeed!
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/CarlAnderson/GEM%20Photos/Thumbnails.html>

The fellow running the controls on the saw mill carriage is NC State
Senator Jim Jacumin. He's a happy fellow to have his saw mill up and
going.

Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC