[SEL] Lister 5-1 /progress

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Sun Nov 15 13:15:59 PST 2009

Hi all you magnificent people,
	The lists have been a bit quiet of late (seems to happen often these days).

	Anyway, here is what I've been up to lately. That Lister 5-1 (Radiator
cooled).

	To recap. This engine was one of two that I managed to obtain from a
scrappie who had bought a "job lot" from our (once great) South African
Railways. I kept one and my friend George Botha took the other. The idea
was to be able to show these two engines together at shows (or Rallies or
whatever you choose to call then in "your neck of the woods"). They had
spent their working life together and it was only right that they spent
their "forever" retirement together!!!

	Well, we decided that a great "debut" would be at our friend, Neville
Botha's, Annual Engine Day. (Neville and George are not related).

	I've spent all my "spare time" for a few months getting mine ready. Well,
Neville's Day is now less than 2 weeks hence (28th Novenber).

	This past weekend has been very productive for me. One of the reasons
being that I could "get on with the job" - I never had any calls from
"friends" or "others" who, because they had nothing to do, felt it
necessary to share their "nothing to do" with me. I got so much done this
weekend that I've even amazed myself.

	A small explanation - I like to clean and paint every bolt, nut, and every
other small part before I start to assemble the engine.
	This weekend I "did that" and am now very close to my goal.

	Tonight at about 8:30 pm I had reached the stage where I could say "I'm
nearly there" but then I found a polythene bag with "something else". It
was the "oil pump".

	This turned out to be a casting  covered in
	a) Many layers of paint.
	b) many layers of grease, old oil and soot.

	I'm sorry that I did not take a photograph at that time but here is one of
what it looks like now:

<http://www.oldengine.org/members/evans/lister51/oilpump.jpg>

	Is this not a beautiful piece of metal/casting ?

	As previously mentioned, I am not going to "slick" this engine but just
going to restore it to what it looked like when it left the factory
(grinding marks and all). Now, the problem is that Lister painted this part
(and everything else) Mid Brunswick Green.

	I'm going to deviate from the rules here - this part will remain the
brass/bronze colour it is. I will not paint it as the original manufacturer
(Lister) did. I will also not polish it before every show - rather, it
grows it's patina with pride.

	Any comments or votes from the community ?

Keep well,

Jerry