[SEL] Dealing Etiquette

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Mon May 25 12:25:36 PDT 2009

>From: Mark Shulaw <frappi at wcoil.com>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] Dealing Etiquette
>
>Hi Paul,
>   That's the way I was taught to deal and I've always dealt.
>Mark.

Howdy Mark,
         Same here! I was always told that a mans word is his bond. Like a
handshake (the British kind - not the one that those football stars use :-)).
         I've got into this thread a bit late but have been following it.
         I cannot comment on your bad experience - but do agree that a name
should be mentioned but your "American" laws make that dangerous for the
victim.
         I'm "old school" and believe that "Men" should keep their word.
(Sorry Gals on the list - no harm intended to you).
         I run my own small business and it does occasionally happen that I
will quote an incorrect price (more often than not in the customers
favour). What I've often come across is that a competitor doing the same
will go ahead and accept the order and then invoice for a greater amount.
He will then "argue the point" and usually get what he wants.
         I DO NOT work that way - if I quote a price I will stick to it
(even if I'm losing on the deal). (My word is my bond - as my Dad taught
me.) Yes, I will tell the customer that I made a mistake and reserve the
right to "requote" on the next job but on this job I will only charge him
what I quoted.
         Fortunately I do not make too many mistakes like this :-).
Jerry.
P.S. If my mistake is in my favour and the customer still places the order
then "I rub my hands in glee" !