[SEL] Dealing Etiquette

MaytagTwin at aol.com MaytagTwin at aol.com
Sun May 24 10:26:59 PDT 2009

In a message dated 5/24/2009 11:08:12 AM Central Daylight Time,
frappi at wcoil.com writes:

Its  almost like there is no honor in dealing any more. Like a
mans word means  nothing.

Hi Mark,
Sorry to hear you found an integrity impaired person  as a business
associate.  They are out there, and, since you have been  dealing for a while, your
chances of finding some are  good.

Not long ago in Virginia I was approached by a fellow  who wanted to
purchase our home as we were moving.  I drew up a contract  which included price,
amount down, and, deadlines for completion with the down  payment being
forfeit should the buyer not do his part in a timely  fashion.  He failed to be
on time and then asked for the return of his down  payment.  I refused to
give it back, telling him I would consult with my  attorney as to how to
proceed. My attorney told me that, unless I could prove I  had been harmed, a
court would instruct me to refund the down payment and that  proving harm would
be difficult if not impossible.  In short, verbal OR  written contracts are
of little value.  That tells me that a fast  transaction is the best way to
go, providing little time for either buyer's or  seller's remorse.

I still like the technique offered by our mutual  friend, Evil Dave, where
you press cold cash into the seller's hand, telling him  as you do so, that
it is in full payment for the item sitting before them.   It is really hard
for a person who wants to sell to hand back the cash simply  because it
might not be as much as they would like.

Regards,
Ron
**************Recession-proof vacation ideas.  Find free things to do in
the U.S.