[SEL] The Stover/Cooper Connection

Joe&Jewel Maurer toadhill at aeroinc.net
Thu May 7 16:24:39 PDT 2009

Hi All

>Home after a trip to see my folks in Newcastle and also picked up a
>free Cooper/Stover KA 2hp engine #179889.
>I have not taken much interest in these engines in the past so in
>fear of asking question that have already been dealt with, here I go:
>
>What is the history of Cooper/Stover in Australia, were they
>imported or made under licence by Cooper in Oz?
>
>Can anyone date these engines? Serial number KA179889, I would say
>around 1925-26???
>
>What colours did they come in.
>
>Are there many parts available in Oz? Will unpack it tomorrow, think
>it needs one part that works off the detent.
>
>What type/brand/size oiler was used on top of the water hopper to
>oil the piston?
>
>I need the correct crank handle.
>
>More tomorrow when I get some pics
>
>Regards
>Peter

Peter,

Your Cooper engine #179889 is listed in the Stover shipping records as a type KA, hit & miss governor (gasoline), with Wico mag. shipped to the Chicago Flexible Shaft Co. Chicago IL. on July 13, 1926.  As a note, 42 identical engines were shipped to Flexible on June 29, 1926 and your engine was in another group of 28 shipped on July 13, 1926.  Flexible Shaft shipped many sheep shearers to Australia.  Flexible also shipped Stover engines to Australia with a Stewart badge.  We know that Cooper also got engines from Stover through the Coldwell Shipping Company, San Francisco Ca.  I'm not sure how all this comes together.  Most rebadged Stovers including Judson engines in Canada use the real Stover serial number so they show up in the records.  If you don't mind, I'll put your engine in the Stover registry.  All personal information is kept confidential.

Ron Wiley came to Freeport, IL. from Australia in July of 2006 to give us a talk on Cooper/Stover engines at the Stover reunion.  I bet he can answer many of your Cooper technical questions.  We also do a Stover column in every issue of Gas Engine Magazine.  The most recent issue covered the late K models including the KA.

Best Regards,
Joe