[SEL] O.T O.T O.T Need to talk to a math expert

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Wed Mar 18 20:19:47 PDT 2009

paulmaples at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> Getting a lot of excellent options. Guys I am mixing together soil, compost,
> sand, and humus (peat) to make a good growing medium to put into my raised
> beds in the garden and I needed a way to measure out the material. The idea
> is you measure out the various materials per the recipe and pour them onto a
> large 12' X 12' tarp and then get two people, one on each side and you roll
> the material back and forth over itself until it is well mixed and then put
> it in the beds.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Paul

Use the bed itself. Measure the height X width X length.
Use those numbers to calculate the amounts and use a standard 12" bucket
for the measuring device.
Keep in mind that your end result depends a LOT on what the moisture
content is in the ingredients AND the compost size.
All of my raised beds have a simple mix. They are 12'X3'X18"
Each gets one large bale of peat, 100 pounds of humus soil, 100 pounds
of compost and 50 pounds of sand. Makes a great media that grew tomato
plants last year that produced over 100 pounds off SIX plants!!!

I have to relocate my chives though, I started them 2 years ago, they
are now taking over in one bed. I'm planning on using a tractor tire for
them this year.

--
Steve Williams