[SEL] Removing Damaged Jib Keys

Germoamer at aol.com Germoamer at aol.com
Fri Mar 13 05:35:37 PDT 2009

Steve,

I did not think tapered keys had a tendency to loosen unless there was
something not quite fitting up correctly, like slot bigger than key or taper not
quite correct.  I have "blued" keys, loosely driving them in and retracting  to
see where they rubbed and filing to make a good metal to metal fit along  the
length of the key. If the shaft to hub bore has too much clearance from  some
"loosening" wear might also cause this problem.

Jimmy mentioned split with straight keys versus solid hubs with  tapered
keys.  Would all the problems over the years with us trying  to remove tapered
keys been solved by everyone using split hubs? Could  a split hub have used with
a tapered key?

Kerry sure had some good "Yankee" ingenuity in removing his key.

Tom  Schmutz
Concord,  Va.
germoamer at AOL.com

steps!