[SEL] O.T O.T. O.T. - any chemist on the List?

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Mon Mar 2 13:58:24 PST 2009

Paul,

Let me make sure that I understand.  You're concerned about the trace residual
chemical that may still be on the inside of these barrels after they have been
filled with water for nine years?

Moreover, you're concerned about what may be still left and manages to leach into
the rainwater you'll collect in the barrels.

But, not really worried about what gets into THAT water, but really worried about
what manages to percolate down to the root zone of plants you have growing in your
backyard garden?

And REALLY not worried about that either, but about the tiny fraction that makes it
up into the plant and gets incorporated into the part that you'll eat?

Is that a fair summation?

Man, if I were you, I think that you should spend your time worrying about the
REALLY high probability events; maybe like having a large meteorite squish you like
a bug while you're spreading rainwater on your garden.

See ya,  Arnie

PS - I think the toxicity of the rainwater BEFORE it gets to your rain barrels is a
much greater concern.  You should probably take some samples to the lab and have it
tested for lead and mercury before putting it on your garden.

On Sun, March 1, 2009 9:42 pm, paulmaples at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> Jim the man that had these said that he had water in them and he had them
> for about nine years. Do you think washing them out good with soap and water
> and then maybe using a 10% bleach solution to wash them and then rinse them
> thoroughly they would be OK for collecting rain water in for my backyard
> garden?

believed to be clean.