[SEL] Spam> Fairbanks Morse spec plates

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Thu Jun 25 12:24:46 PDT 2009

Hi Guys 'n Gals,
         "Stuff" eventually happens if you wait long enough.

         I've just had my first "Etched Brass Spec. Plate" order go sour on
me. I made a batch of 10 plates for "Fairbanks Morse Type N" engines but
somewhere along the line (no names-no pack drill-no blame to anyone) the
sizes given to me got screwed up.
(These plates may also be applicable for other Fairbanks M engines
manufactured between 1895 and 1909 - see the picture).

         Now, I'm not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes - they are
slightly undersize (as I've since discovered) and, as the original plates
had the holes drilled very close to the edge of the plate this will cause
problem with "hole centres" .
         If you have a restored engine (with these holes left open) then
these plates are not for you. If you, on the other hand, are restoring an
engine, and are prepared to fill the existing holes and drill new holes
then these plates will work for you. The "undersize" is small enough to not
be "visually" noticeable on an engine.

         NOTE. On my "plates" webpage, I specifically mention that these
brass plates were probably fixed in place by hand and variances could occur
and that is the reason that I do NOT drill the holes in plates.

         Anyway, "long story short". There are 10 of these plates in the
USA at the moment and a mutual (list) friend has agreed to place them on
eBay for me with a "Buy it now" price.
         I just thought that I should first offer them to the members of
our lists - if you feel that you could use them then make an offer - The
original price of these plates (as listed on my webpage) was US$ 35.00 each
but I will consider any offers before they go on eBay. Have look and write
to me if you want to make an offer.

         You can see a picture (with sizes) here:

<http://www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/ebay.jpg>

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>