[SEL] Fw: Large scale machining in the 50's

R & M Ingold randmingold at hotkey.net.au
Thu Jun 18 00:18:13 PDT 2009

I find it very encouraging that these pics, and the skills depicted in them,
are appreciated by our groups.
Try showing these to the 'Puter kids' of today and the message will sail
right over their heads.
Looking at some of those pics, the depth of experience and knowledge that is
in the brains of the machinists, is almost beyond comprehension.
They are totally aware of every false move that could ruin the whole thing.
I only wish we could pass this on to those who would benefit.
Sadly, the day of the CAD and Puter, has pushed this need to the background.
When it IS needed again, it will be lost.
On this, The reliance on puters and the like will be our undoing.
Already, banking, retail trade etc.etc, are SO vunerable to the loss of
power and other failures. The human brain, that started it all, is no longer
'programmed' to take over in a breakdown.
So it goes with design and all that goes with it.
Reg.
Reg & Marg Ingold.
Newcastle, NSW, Australia.
randmingold at hotkey.net.au