[SEL] OT: Shoarma meals during EHOWT

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Sat Jun 13 10:19:07 PDT 2009

At 06:00 PM 13/06/2009, somebody wrote:
>Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 21:03:45 +1000
>
> > Sounds like Souvlaki to me - go find someplace that makes greek food :)

Not Greek or Souvlakia,
         Middle Eastern - Turkey, Israel and all those Arab places.

         In South Africa it is pronounced "sha warma".

         As Paul mentioned, it is roast meat (usually beef here but
probably originally camel or goat). The meat is sliced and stuck onto a
revolving spike (skewer) and roasted on an upright electric grill (probably
originally an open fire).  It is best carved when the outside of the meat
is crisp (almost burnt). When carved it comes off in quite small "slices"
which are placed (with sauces and veggies) into a sliced open piece of pita
bread. Pita bread is similar to bread but made without yeast so it does not
rise - like a flat hamburger roll. Delicious if you're sure of the origin
of the meat :-)
         I have seen take away joints that just fry the meat on a hot plate
but this is not as nice as the "grilled on a skewer" method.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>