[SEL] OT: Shoarma meals during EHOWT

Best, George George_Best at adp.com
Tue Jun 9 11:27:35 PDT 2009

 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg>  Netherlands<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands>: In the Netherlands<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands>, shawarma (shoarma) is a popular meal, especially after a night out. Here it is served as pork, chicken, beef or lamb combined with salad and garlic sauce. It is usually served with French Fries (friet or patat) and can be bought from many places, including the local snackbars. It is generally served with pitã bread, which is cut open and the meat is placed inside. This is called Broodje Shoarma (small bread with shoarma) although can be served in larger portions without bread. Dutch Shoarma is not produced as described in the method above - spit roasted, but is pre diced lamb or pork that is then grilled or fried, or a combination of both.

Actually, we didn't have it every night, contrary to what Steve said ;-)

First night at Eindhoven we wandered around looking for a restaurant I have eaten at in the past.  We couldn't find it, but found another neighborhood restaurant that served shoarma.   It was pretty good and possibly better than the one we were searching for.

We did try for shoarma one night in Harry's home town, but they had sold out by the time we arrived and had to have something else.

The last night of the tour we had actually planned on going to the pancake ship in Leeuwarden, but the group started the shoarma chant so we decided to return to the local restaurant hoping they were not sold out.  They were not, so most of us had a shoarma meal the last night.

Steve didn't mention that he didn't have shoarma, but had the spareribs which were quite tasty.  Better than the ones he had in Belgium.

George