[SEL] Recharging of Maytag coils

Mark Shulaw frappi at wcoil.com
Mon Jun 8 11:35:12 PDT 2009

I am learning here to as I have only hear of this being done by
others with the original vintage coils from the 70s-80s. I was told
by reliable people that the later vintage Briggs coils will not work.
I hope to be shown differently.
The Maytag uses a condenser rated quite a bit different then any car
or other small engine condenser I have ever seen before. I do not
know for sure that Maytag engines needed it but they were rated at
630vdc .154 to .22 mfd  +-10 by the respective manufacturers. I have
no way to test the suitability of other values as this is quite an
involved project mathematically and with actual testing.  I would not
like to question what Eisemann or *Quick Action-Johnson* or American
Bosch did as they knew their stuff and had the facilities and money
to test. So who am I to question their ratings. They built systems
for many other applications, not just the Maytag.
  The usual small engine and car condensers I have seen are usually
rated at 250 to 430 vdc  and .22 to .28 mfd.  My feelings are its not
much difference in price to put in the properly rated versus
something thats not rated properly, Especially since new points are
not being made any more and if you ruin them its way more $$ for USED
points then a new condenser.
That said this is a different coil then the Original so I do not know
if this will change things.  My belief and it is only a belief that
we need to stick close to the original rating. But I would feel
comfortable in testing with a Model T or Wico EK Condenser.  Only
time and running would tell the story.

                                      Mark