[SEL] Another one lives./Update

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Tue Jun 2 14:13:43 PDT 2009

Hi All,
         Some progress with the Maytag Twin thanks to suggestions from the
list.
         Following Mark's info on the timing I removed the backplate from
the other Maytag and fitted it to this one. (Should there be a bit of play
when those lugs are lined up - maybe a degree or so either way ?) Where I
had it set previously was definitely more out than this - probably about 4
degrees retarded.
         I also fitted the muffler from the other Maytag (not a washing
machine engine - this was a battery charger - I think Mark mentioned
"Winpower Genset") and it really tames the little bugger down.
         I've started it up and also adjusted the governor slightly (about
1/2 a turn anticlockwise to speed it up a little) - how sensitive is this
setting? Until I get my rev counter sorted out it is difficult for me to
judge. It has sped up a bit.
         I'm also experimenting with spark plug gap - the Briggs coil may
not be supplying as strong a spark as the original Maytag coil. I
originally had the gap set at 0.020" but am down to 0.014" now and there is
a definite improvement. When I short out 1 plug the engine actually runs
much better but this difference is getting less noticeable as I make the
sparkplug gap smaller. Suggestions and comments welcome.
         It's still not running as smoothly as I imagine it should but this
is the first Maytag twin I've seen so have nothing to judge it against.
         Another video taken this evening is here:
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/maytwin/maytagtwin1.wmv>

         This one is 30 seconds long (640 x 480) and is 2.85 Megabytes.
(Reg, that video tutorial is getting closer - I used this as a test).
         Any comments and suggestions will be welcomed.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>