[SEL] Coborn Engine - One for the Brits

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Wed Jul 15 15:47:28 PDT 2009

Hi All,
         Lists are terribly quiet so I'll put this in.

         I found an air cooled Coborn engine about a year ago (British made
- from memory similar type design to Wolseley, Wisconsin, Ronaldson &
Tippet et. al.) In fact, it's the second one I found the - first is on my
webpage here:
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/evans/benc/COBURN.JPG>  (excuse the wrong
spelling in this case) but this guy wanted too much moola for it.

         This one that I've found (and bought) will be collected for me by
some friends in the next few weeks (no pictures yet). It's even attached to
a water pump! ( I bought a Johnson Iron Horse in the same deal).

         Anyway, when I first did some research on it, the only mention I
found was on a U.K. site - Peter Forbes, Roland Craven and Nick Holden were
members (this from memory). The thread was started by a guy who had bought
a bunch of literature which included a "Coborn" operators manual and he was
wondering if it was worth keeping?? (This is all on backup "somewhere"!!!).
(Googling for it tonight I found the thread but not on the original site).
         Although not a flywheel engine it's still quite unusual (rare?)
and worth having.

         Do any of you guys (mentioned above) or anyone else remember who
this was and do you know if he ever scanned the manual. I'd really like to
get a copy or better still, buy the original from him - he did not seem to
keen on keeping it! If I could get the original I would scan it and make it
available on my website.

         Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans