[SEL] My bad

Rob Skinner rob at rustyiron.com
Sun Jul 12 10:45:47 PDT 2009

On Jul 12, 2009, at 6:12 AM, Jim French wrote:
> I had a real struggle sorting the pictures out.

Yeah, with all those boring inverted engines, I can understand why you
would "dustbin" them all onto one page ;-)

It seems you're in your "critique" mode.  Please allow me to spew some
impressions.

1.  The "additional views" along the top are a nice touch.  The
primary viewing experience is not overwhelmed by multiple pictures of
the same engine, but more views are available for those viewers who
have particular interest in an engine.  It must have taken
considerable effort to organize the images to such a degree.  Nice work.

2.  Your very pleasing use of color is not lost upon this troglodyte.
I can't match a shirt and pants to save my life, but I recognize
complementary tones when I see 'em.  Very pretty.

3.  Minor beef:  the thumbnails are a bit "petite."  I'd like to see
them 50% larger.  Even the main images could be larger, to get the
full visual impact and detail.

4.  The server is as slow as snot in molasses in January.

One question:  Did you bring your cleaning supplies to spiffy up the
area around all the engines that you shot?  Many times the
photographer's challenge is finding an engine that isn't surrounded by
half-eaten sandwiches, plastic oil cans, and dirty rags.  Could it be
that Euros are tidier than Yanks?

Rob Skinner
Antique Stationary Engines
La Habra, California