[SEL] Mars diesel

Eric Schulz ilifa at internode.on.net
Wed Jul 8 03:37:52 PDT 2009

A bit more about Mars.

Formerly trading as Rapson & Dutton, in about 1942 the company name
was changed to Mars Machine Tools at Bridge St, Valley, Brisbane.

As far as I know, during the war the horizontal Brons system engines
continued under the Victor brand, and probably a 6hp vertical that
goes back to the mid 30's.

If an advertisement is to be believed, a new series of vertical
engines was introduced in 1953 in 3, 5, and 8 hp sizes. The 3 and 5hp
were very Lister-like.

The engine at the National Rally was a 8hp size.

If you want to read more about the lathes, go to www.lathes.co.uk/mars

Mars was the mythical god Mars, not the planet.

Eric