[SEL] Working Clothes

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Mon Jul 6 06:15:50 PDT 2009

IMO, it "depends".........
Some original owners may have shedded  an ending, kept it maintained
according to the manual, never let it get scratched or used looking, much
like some daily-driver cars can also be show cars.
OTOH, some poorer farmer maybe had to keep it outside, do his best with
makeshift repairs, didn't wipe it down because the grease and oil helped
prevent rust, etc.

So just like today's cars are maintained and used to different degrees, so
were these engines.
On one hand, every piece of wire, every weld, every patched tank is a
piece of history - the history of that engine and the history of that
owner. It's a  part of what it was and who he/she was.

I prefer concourse restorations to over-restored. I also enjoy seeing
ORIGINAL - both at car shows and engine shows.
My car is more show, part driver, so it's not a concourse restoration. If
I get another one, it will be maintained to driver level.

My engines are typically not over-restored. I don't aim for a mirror
finish and chrome pipes where there was no chrome originally. I've got
some that are fully gone over and repainted nicely, others are just like
they were found, repaired only to make them run and work. A 1.5 hp Alamo
has little paint, little original paint, is oily and greasy, but runs
quite nicely.
My chapman was SO bad, I had little choice! Same for the 1.5 hp M - it was
total rust and everything about it was stuck.

I like 'em both ways, and what I do with them depends on how I get them.....

My opinions - you asked!

Bill