[SEL] Rumsey Gas Engine, Binghamton NY - YouTube

Dave Merchant kosh at ncweb.com
Fri Jul 3 23:34:50 PDT 2009

Spent some quality time with a 12 hp Rumsey-Williams vertical portable today.

Built by Rumsey Gas Engine, Binghamton NY, apparently late 1890's.
Owner claims there are a total of 2 of these, the other is a 6 hp.

Fascinating engine, with the entire portable carriage cast integral
with the crank, beautiful sweeping casting.

The valve + firing mechanicals are a bit different too...

It looks slightly small to be a 12 hp, but that's how it's labeled.

This is at the Ashtabula County engine show, Wayne Ohio.

Guy will be there Saturday, but not Sunday as he's Amish,
but I believe he plans to leave the engine there, and may
get somebody to run it for him.

Here are 2 YouTubes of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uokwyDBy1xo&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6uFeqEdWDw&feature=channel_page

Planning to go out there again Saturday, hopefully the light will be better.

This just might be the most beautiful engine I've ever seen, your mileage
may vary.

Dave Merchant

Dave Merchant
kosh at nesys.com