[SEL] Dead Battery

S. Work endacomm10 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 27 17:07:45 PST 2009

Peter Lowe <plowe at exemail.com.au> wrote:    Buy a new one, they are rubbish these days and only last a third of what
they used to.
Peter

   You guys are a fairly bright bunch. I Mean, You build your own tools (when
  necessary) You Fabricate replacement parts (Whenever possible) So Why
  not build your own batteries ? ..  Use some 1/8'' to 3/16'' inch plexi or lexan
  for the case. Cut open your old batteries. glean whatever materials you can
  (In the case of plates and substrates) ALL the lead. Don't forget to save the electrolyte. Make a case (Similar to a fish tank) of necessary size for the
  need. Add evenly spaced dividers ( 1 per 2 volt needed) Seal well with clear
  ATV Silicone . All the lead plates can be melted down easily, and re-molded
  into correct sized plates and connectors. The other plates (Usually lead peroxide may be a bit trickier to rework) Have had Some successes and failures there.
    Reguardless. Copper plates can also be used (Theoretically) Any Dissimilar
  metal pairs will work. (In FACT They can all be lead) However this method will yield a bettery which has no predetermined Polatiry !  You get the general idea anyway.
    So If you're tired of throwing away $$$ on Batteries. Re-Cycle/Rebuild them yourself. No only will you have more coins in the purse for that next big engine project, But you'll also have the satisfaction you get from Do-It-Yourself-ing And have a battery that should outlast anything commercially available. Who Knows, Might even outlast your new car/truck/whatever (which really isn't saying much), But then that's a different discussion altogether.