[SEL] inline 4

MaytagTwin at aol.com MaytagTwin at aol.com
Mon Jan 26 20:15:07 PST 2009

In a message dated 1/26/2009 7:20:47 PM Central Standard Time,
bboyce at swat.coop writes:

just  picked up an inline 4 cylinder wisconsin air cooled engine,,,, does
anyone  have one of these, or a manual ? or maybe a parts engine,, i;m missing
part of  the upper shroud and air cleaner,,,,,
bill boyce
lost prairie,  arkansas

Hi Bill,
A friend of mine who isn't a list member at this time  does have an engine
like yours.  I forwarded your request to him and below  you'll see his two

I wish you success with your engine.  I have seen  Gerald's inline four and
it is a fine looking engine.

Regards,
Ron Carroll
Clearmont, MO USA  (where all the little Maytags  are safely tucked away
awaiting the Sprint thaw.  Damn!  It is COLD  out.)

*****************************
Hi Ron,

I do indeed have a Wisconsin AC4.  There were  thousands of these engines
built mainly for use on combines from what I  understand.  However, there were a
few that were built strictly for  stationary power units complete with a metal
"dog house" enclosure complete with  removable louvered side panels and a
large gas tank built into the top of the  enclosure.  These are not very common
and this is what I have.  My  engine was built in 1943.  These engines have
aluminum blocks and are  magneto fired, using a simple updraft carburetor.  They
are built using  Timken main roller bearings on the ends of the crankshaft.
This gives the  ability to remove paper shims from under the end bearing caps
to take up slack  as the bearings wear.  When I acquired my engine the bearings
were  shot.  At that time we still owned the power equipment company and did
lots  of work on Wisconsin engines.  We tried to get parts from Wisconsin but
had  no luck.  However, as it turns out we were able to go to NAPA and find
bearings that would work.  We also found rings to fit the pistons.  We
eventually did a complete rebuild on my engine including rings, bearings and  valves.
 The air cleaner used on an AC4 is a standard large  size Wisconsin can type
of filter with the "hat" cover using a replacement  dry filter element inside.
 After a little digging I eventually found a man  in California who somehow
had acquired the stock of a large Wisconsin dealer  there including service
manuals.  He agreed to copy all his AC4 data for me  for a fee.  Over a period of
several years I shared this information with  anyone asking for help never
asking for or expecting any compensation to  cover the time and cost of copying
and mailing the sizable amount of information  I had.   The last time I did
it, I sent it all free of charge to a  collector and never received so much as a
"thank you".   When I  retired, the ring binders containing the information
were packed away with  dozens of other leftovers from years of business and
stacked in a large pile  somewhere in my basement....never to be seen again in
the last several  years.  I wish I knew what ever happened to the information
but I  don't.   The best advice I can give anyone trying to rebuild one is to
use NAPA as a parts source and try to cross match parts to fit.

I forgot to mention that my engine has the hand  clutch and flat belt pulley
on it.  I use it each year at our church  Heritage Day to power my big corn
sheller.  It can be a little contrary to  hand crank sometimes but once you
learn the procedure and how to choke and not  choke it, it starts reliably.

Now you know about all I know to tell about the  AC4.  If you want to pass
this info along to the guy that posted to the  list, feel free to do so.
Unfortunately I no longer have access to the  manuals and materials I once had.  I
wish I had taken better care of  them.

Gerald