[SEL] OT Mystery car from last summer...

Mark Shulaw frappi at wcoil.com
Mon Jan 26 09:02:42 PST 2009

Hi Bill,
Was it this photo?
http://www2.wcoil.com/~frappi/UnknownCar.jpg

Never did find an ID of the car. But some suggestions from this list as to
what the car was intended for suggested that the true ID of the car may
never be known. The car appears to be a Vanderbilt Cup Racer or an American
LaFrance racer. The cars were built on a chassis of custom built parts
assembled as the builder envisioned. Much the same as todays Indy cars. The
outer bodies many times had no resemblence to any production car of the days.
The Duesenbergs were into that type of promotion of their cars by
racing.  The owner of the photo, TL Thousand, is the Grandson of Adolph
Thousand heres his narrative.
"My grandfather's name was Adolph Thousand.  Before emigrating to America in
1904, he interned as a mechanical engineer with Karl Benz.  Adolph also
raced motorcycles before landing a job with the Duesenbergs."
The fellow behind the wheel is reportedly Adolph. The passenger Fred
Duesenberg. TL was looking for what brand the car was and proof that it was
Fred in the passsenger seat.  The photo was said to have been taken in
Dubuque Iowa, date unknown. TL was thinking that this car might have been
built in the Era of Maytag-Mason when the Duesenbergs were working for Mason.

                                                   Mark

At 09:29 PM 1/25/2009 -0600, you wrote:
>Was it the SEL where someone posted a mystery car? Seems that it was early
>or mid-summer 2008 where a link to a photo of a "mystery car" was posted.
>I've lost the info on it and would like to know just WHAT that car was -
>make, who made it, country, etc.
>
>Well, it might not be stationary, but it's antique for sure!
>
>Bill

Mark Shulaw
454 Co. Rd. 33
Bluffton, OH. 45817  USA

Frappi at wcoil.com
419.516.2996 Ver. Cell
Hobby Collector and Dealer in Maytag Multi-Motor Engine parts.