[SEL] The Blue tarps are going away

Keith Kinney kkinney at herculesengines.com
Sat Jan 24 21:29:33 PST 2009

We'll the barn is pretty much done.  They are coming back Tuesday to
install the down spouts and some bracing.

Tommy, your right, that porch is going to be real nice. Right now
we're planing on setting up our saw mill there.  But who knows how it
will end up being used.  We've also thought about setting up our
sorghum syrup furnace and cane mill under the porch.  Lots of options.

Glenn.  Yep, several engines outside will find a nice dry, cold, home
in the barn.  We worked on Reid today while we could borrow the
construction crews off road fork truck.  Talk about a sweet machine
for working around oil field engines.  We'll have to schedule the barn
party for warmer weather. :-)

Peter.  It is a very nice sized building.  If I were going to order a
building I'd probably go with a little wider building but we had to
work with what we had so no complaints here.

Ron.  You asked about the posts.  A hole was drilled 3'+ into the
ground.  A dry bag of cement mix is poured into the hole.  Then the
post is placed into the hole and another dry 80 lb. bag a cement mix
is poured around the post.  The dry mix pulls moisture from the ground
and sets up.  If the hole is still not full it is back filled with dirt.

If you remember from my original post this kit was from a project that
was canceled when the original owner's business plans changed.  They
barn had set mostly outside for 2 years in a pile.  Some of the lumber
and the hardware had been stored in a garage. It was originally
supposed to have 8' side walls.  We replaced the posts with 4' longer
posts and made the walls 12.5' tall to accommodate our taller
treasures.  This is why you see the 4' tall wainscoting around the
bottom of the structure.  We used the metal that was originally slated
to be the interior ceiling for the wainscoting and ceiling of the
porch.  Not the prettiest but functional.  It also didn't have any
drive through doors.  To make room for the drive through doors we
moved the porch from the end where it was originally supposed to be
around to the side and lengthen it 16' to make the best use of the
roofing material we had.  We then added 12' wide by 10' tall sliding
doors on each end of the barn.

I thought the copula and wether vane were a nice touch.  I wouldn't
have ordered one but it came with the kit. :-)

Here are the latest pictures:
http://s592.photobucket.com/albums/tt1/KeithKinney/New Barn January
2009/?albumview=slideshow

I probably won't post any more photos until it's filled. :-)
Keith

Keith Kinney
kkinney at herculesengines.com
WWW.HerculesEngines.com