[SEL] Cracked Head/Epoxy information

Jim Hardman Jim at hardmanfamily.net
Sat Jan 24 14:09:49 PST 2009

Jerry, specify a "high peel strength" epoxy for brass.  It doesn't cure as
hard as most epoxies, you can dent the stuff with your fingernail.  But it
sticks like grim death.

The secret with brass is surface preparation (as rough as possible and as
clean as possible) and thick sections of brass to prevent "stretching" off
the bond when stressed.

Epoxies bond well due to their ability to wet the surface;  these chemicals
have the ability to gain really close molecular contact.  But mechanical
roughness (rough grinding) truly helps mechanical purchase.

With all epoxies, wash up well with plenty of soap and hot water after use.
There are no "safety cures" that really avoid possible skin rash.  Everyone
has a natural threshold resistance to dermatitis (a rash like poison ivy),
but once the threshold is reached, the user becomes sensitized and has to
avoid epoxies in the future.  It's like rolling in poison ivy as a kid.  The
first or second time you got away with it, but after that, just get near the
ivy patch and you had the rash.  Just be clean... most of our shop mates
formulated epoxies for years with no ill effects.

Jim in Vermont