[SEL] Skills

S. Work endacomm10 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 23 19:04:14 PST 2009

What's even worse. The Computer Shops you mention do NOT teach "Repair",
  Only Replace. What's going to be even more rare, And in demand. Will be the
  individuals who can bridge ALL the above (Meaning Repair,Rebuild,OR Re-Create)

    There are MANY On here who have expressed their apptitude for Re-Creation
  Many times simplyout of Desire, Rather then necessity. I Blame all this
  "Pull it - Trash it - Replace with new part" On society's inherant IMPATIENCE !
  It takes time to MAKE a new part from scratch. Even IF you have the equipment
  and Materials (And Skill) to do it, It's usually the impatient nature of the beast that
  wins out in the end. (Yet another SAD testament to the times)

     Fathers need to pass on their knowledge to their young, When they ARE young.
  If you wait till they are in their teens, it's too late. They either already know
  (Or atleast THINK they know) More than you and your efforts will fall on deaf ears.

  Back when I was a kid (Late 50's early 60's) My father was sharper than most I guess
  He started teacking us as soon as we could pick up a tool, The correct use and care
  of it. And saw to it we had almost any concievable basic tool to learn with. Adding to
  this He taught us how to ADAPT a tool to a specific purpose. (Which eventually
  required a huge addition to the "Tool Storage Area" of a Hand built SPECIAL TOOLS
  box)  We learned early hot to create a $100 Tool from a $2 corner hardware store tool.
   Which brings up another thing. Where did all those "Corner Supply Houses" go ?
  Only the Shadow Knows !  <Sigh>

     Please forgive the legnth of this. But I COULD go on almost indefinitely So I better
  close.

     !! Best to all in this new year !!
And May YOUR Passions NEVER be your UnDoing...

Mark Shulaw <frappi at wcoil.com> wrote:
  I was told a while back and I believe this, that if things go badly in the
next few years that those who can repair almost anything will do well in
the bad times. Like the blacksmith of the village. I'm not talking about
remove and replacers I'm talking about remove, repair said removed item and
reinstall. The industrial arts shops in schools have largely given way to
the computer shop. Mark

At 12:41 PM 1/23/2009 -0600, you wrote:
>"The skills to restore and or maintain old engines are quickly slipping
>away with each new generation. Jim"
>
>It does seem that fewer and fewer people have the skills to repair
>things. The other day a co-worker brought in the top from a seltzer
>bottle with a bad seal. He knew I worked on things and he couldn't get
>a part taken off.
>
>I looked at it and noticed some internal threads so it was obvious that
>the part screwed in and just needed a simple tool to unscrew it. I took
>it home and probably didn't take me a minute to have it apart. I then
>made a quick tool for him out of a 3 cent flat washer with a few notches
>cut in it.
>
>He was thrilled and is buying me lunch next week for helping him!
>
>Guess I should be glad there are people that need my help, but at the
>same time it does make you wonder how many people in the future will be
>able to fix things after we're gone.
>
>George
>

>This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the
>addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.
>If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an
>authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby
>notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly
>prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please
>notify us immediately by e-mail and delete the message and any attachments
>from your system.

>1/23/2009 7:28 AM

Mark Shulaw
454 Co. Rd. 33
Bluffton, OH. 45817 USA

Frappi at wcoil.com
419.516.2996 Ver. Cell
Hobby Collector and Dealer in Maytag Multi-Motor Engine parts.