[SEL] Cracked Head

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Fri Jan 23 09:32:08 PST 2009

In regards to the cracked head I almost had the same thing happen to me.
There was some discussion on Smokstak around early Dec. about engines
sweating when the temperature changes.  Late that evening I walked up to
the barn to get something and thought I would look at some old iron to
see if it was sweating.  Everything looked pretty good except I noticed
the cooling tank on the Miami had water beaded up all over it.  I
couldn't figure out what was going on until I got up next to it and
noticed that the tank was about 3/4 full of water.  Then I remembered
that I had taken it to the East TN Crankup in early June and had never
drained it.  Boy, was I lucky!  We had had some cold weather but not
enough to freeze the water.  The engine sits in an insulated building
and it has to stay below freezing for several days to get below freezing
inside.  Last week we had 4 days below 32, 2 when the temp never got
above 12 degrees.  It would have surely cracked then.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY