[SEL] White metal (help from the aussies?)

peter ogborne jopeter at omninet.net.au
Tue Jan 20 15:01:01 PST 2009

Chester ,I can lend you the Hoyt book on the Lined Bearing.As others have
said  dont get too fussy about the grade .Are you going to pour around the
journals or do you intend making a jig to hold the shells.The Hoyts book
will give you some ideas on making the jig.I just did the mains for that big
engine of mine .I had a few blow holes but the old remedy for this is to
fill them with soft solder......for our purpose this will be OK . As a
matter of interest Steve Eatts here in Albnay uses a lot of white metal in
his business of knife sharpening for the wood chip mill....he has a pot of
metal on the go often .Steve belongs to TRACMACH.
If your supplier wants to be pernickity tell him you want Hoyts D.11.This is
the lowest melting metal and will be fine for your purpose.