[SEL] Piston slap ????

Elden DuRand edurand at mchsi.com
Wed Jan 14 08:17:55 PST 2009

I've experienced the same oddball knock at cranking speed and found that it was caused by (as someone else has said) the little end of the rod clacking against one of the wrist pin bosses as the rod moved slithtly side to side.

In my case, it was on the little engine I recently built and I traced the problem to a very small misalignment of the rod journal on the crankshaft.  I fixed the problem by moving the crankshaft slightly so as to give a little more side clearance on one side of the little end of the rod.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand

http://au.docs.yahoo.com/mail/smarterinbox