[SEL] Piston slap ????

curt at rustyiron.com curt at rustyiron.com
Tue Jan 13 09:15:14 PST 2009

Tom,
I'd bet what you are hearing is actually the small end of the rod hitting
a boss on the inside of the piston. I've seen this several times and it
gets louder as the engine slows, exactly as you describe. You may have a
worn bushing on either end, or the bushing on the big end is not bored
dead perpendicular to the rod axis, canting the rod slightly.
Can you put a small sheet of rubber or gasket in the gaps on either side
of the rod next to the bosses? Not a permanent fix, but a great way to see
if this is where the sound was coming from.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC