[SEL] OT: Philco Dual-engine Trucks for B24 Haulage

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 12:23:16 PST 2009

Reading one of our back issues of the USAF Museum  'Friends' magazine,
I read about the Ford Willow Run plant that was turned over to
mass-production of the B-24 bomber.

A small item in the article caught my eye:

Philco made the truck tractor unit, and it had two 100hp V8 Ford
engines sitting side by side in the chassis. the trailer was 60ft
long, they could road-hail a complete B-24 in two truck/trailers.

I know that Philco made Radios and TV's after the war, but never knew
about this truck manufacturing side. Are any of these trucks still
extant?  Has anyone else heard of this haulage unit?

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com