[SEL] OT R-10 Borg Warner overdrive...note of warning regardinglubrication

MaytagTwin at aol.com MaytagTwin at aol.com
Fri Jan 2 17:34:57 PST 2009

Hi Elden,
My 51 had the 308 CI six.  It didn't have the  dual carbs or exhausts.  It
had the aluminum head (until I changed it to  the cast iron head from a 262.)
Torque?  You betcha.  To twist  an axle in second gear only took a little bit
of sand on the pavement when  accelerating and in second with it about half
wound up.  It would slip,  then grab and "twang" it was axle time.  It only
happened a couple of times  and I found replacing an axle was an easy task.

Hudson did put together a 308 engine they called the  "7X" which had all the
little tweaks to make it go fast.  I never had one  but was well satisfied
with what I had.

Ron
PS:  Since you have been in one, you probably  remember the center point
steering and how it would hold a straight line even  with one front wheel in
adverse conditions.  They had dished the wheels to  the point the center of the
wheel was directly over the king pin.  It  tended to keep going straight better
than some of the other cars of that  era.  In later years VW even designed
their front suspension to provide  steering change to overcome left/right pull due
to uneven braking.

In a message dated 1/2/2009 5:30:05 PM Central Standard Time,