[SEL] OT R-10 Borg Warner overdrive...note of warning regarding lubrication

MaytagTwin at aol.com MaytagTwin at aol.com
Fri Jan 2 09:10:08 PST 2009

In a message dated 1/2/2009 10:57:57 AM Central Standard Time,
gastzt at aol.com writes:

also--miss my old '51 Hudson--   it was without the   OD---    gave it to my
brother about 40 yrs   ago---DARN!
Stan Z

Hi Stan,
Yes, I miss mine, too.  It had the 308 cu in six  (see, engine stuff)* and a
back seat the size of a playground.  After  having it bored out .030" I had to
put a 262 cast iron head on it, along with  two head gaskets to keep the
compression in check.  The original aluminum  head had trouble keeping gaskets in
place.  Spare head gaskets and  a spare axle were part of my traveling kit as
it could twist off an axle in  second gear.
Ron
*stock engine was 3 13/16" bore and 4 1/2"  stroke.  Peak rated horsepower
was achieved at 4200 rpm.   The  way the cam was set up the engine response in
third gear was stronger at 70 mph  than at 60 mph.