[SEL] OT R-10 Borg Warner overdrive...note of warning regarding lubrication

MaytagTwin at aol.com MaytagTwin at aol.com
Fri Jan 2 07:51:50 PST 2009

Hi  Curt,
My 1951 Hudson had an overdrive and three speed  transmission.  It worked
well until, late one night, the solenoid became  loose (if memory serves, it
screwed into the side of the transmission) and  allowed the lubricant to leak out.
 I didn't know that had happened  until the overdrive gears complained and by
then it was ruined.  Had I  known that would/could happen, I could have
prevented  it.
Regards,
Ron Carroll
Clearmont, Missouri
PS:  With that, and other overdrive cars, I could  engage the dash lever
in/out of overdrive by flooring the accelerator and  when the transmission had
shifted out of overdrive, pull or push the dash  lever.
PPS:  The Hudsons, when in overdrive, would  cruise quietly at 85-90 mph and
achieve 15-16 mpg doing it.  The Missouri  speed limit at that time was
"Reasonable and Proper" which meant if you had good  weather, clear roads, and a
suitable vehicle, you could run as fast as you  wanted.