[SEL] Olds engine register

Michael Young michael.y at ozemail.com.au
Wed Feb 25 01:46:03 PST 2009

Peter,

I would be interested in knowing myself.  I have an interest in them as I
have two early engines and for a few years anyway was recording serial
numbers and trying to unravel their secrets - but by no way was/is it a
register.  Olds engines are hard to date exactly as their are no factory
details that have survived into preservation that I know of.  I've figured
out that B prefixed Type A engines are the Olds Gas Power engines with the
trumpet type carb. The early ones didn't have the B pre-fix - e.g. the
engine featured in TOMM a months or so back was real early but probably not
as old as that guy thinks.  The B pre fix engines run from 1905ish to 1910.
After that they became Seager engines and had a serial number with a D pre
fix.  I think the later Rumley engines may have had an F pre fix.  Some of
this is straight from my memory. If a little bit of knowledge is dangerous -
then thats me - so be warned!    Since maybe there is no register, you might
be the man to start one - now that all bar one or two of the R&Vs on the
planet have been accounted for.  What little information I have is yours,
incl. cattledogs, parts books etc.

Regards,

             Mike Young