[SEL] Briggs coil/2 on eBay/Please help

Ed stoller edstoller at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 23 13:58:33 PST 2009

Jerry,

Just a couple of ideas.  Since you are a little far away, you might try
using the points for a battery powered ignition. This would depend what you
can lay your hands on in the way of junk parts. There is a Point Saver
device that uses the timing from the points to switch a transistor and
conventional coil too. On the brigs coil, the two ends of the secondary
winding are routed to two separate spark plugs which share a common ground,
the threads, to complete the circuit.  The GM six cylinder used three  coils
like this for the six spark plugs. You would need a capacitor across the
points.

Also, if the armature of the Briggs magnetron ignition lines up with the
magnet, this would be a good option too. We would need to research the
configuration. If you had the engine model and type numbers, we could go the
Briggs site and get the illustrated parts list. Sometimes they specify the
magnetron as a replacement.

Ed Stoller
New Fairfield, CT
http://home.earthlink.net/~edstoller/