[SEL] bending cast iron

jlb94 jlb94 at juno.com
Thu Feb 12 07:46:22 PST 2009

HI Bill,

Once, I was bringing my Stover out of the truck on the ramp and didn't
think I needed to use the winch.
I wasn't strong enough to hold it and it got away.  Came down the ramp
about 3/4 of the way and off to the left.
It rolled over so smoothly on to the driveway.  I didn't expect any
damage.  However, it bent the mag cover and the mag bracket about 1/4
inch. After taking the bracket off, I figured I might be able to bend it
back if I heated it with an Oxyacetylene torch.  I got it pretty hot -
almost to turning red - tried to bend it and - "snap" - it broke.
I then clamped it to a piece of steel to keep it straght  V'd the break
and brazed it back together.

I worked it for a while but bought a new bracket from "Hit and Miss" and
replaced it.

I now keep it on the shelf as a reminder to ALWAYS use the winch.

 Joe "Pip" Betz said that.
 jlb94 at juno.com - - - www.oldengine.org/members/betz
   ,-._,-.      http://community.webshots.com/user/pipbetz
   \/)"(\/
   (_o_)       "There is nothing nice about snow and ice"