[SEL] fires today - a map to put the fires in context

Paul Pavlinovich pjp08 at steamengine.com.au
Sun Feb 8 00:59:20 PST 2009

Someone has created this Google map that puts the fires in context and
shows how many of them have joined up.

It is said that this is the worst event since European settlement in
Victoria over 200 years ago. The state has been declared a disaster area
and troops have been mobilised. Fire fighters are moving in from
interstate to help.

According to emergency radio over 65 people are confirmed dead and over
700 homes have been burnt. Some entire communities have been destroyed.
Marysville for example only the fire shelter with most of the community
members within was saved.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=109226935524884968309.00046252015ee6beb4fca&ll=-36.75649,145.129395&spn=2.442569,4.943848&source=embed

Our government has been looking for a huge build project to help our
economy... I guess they've got it now.

Regards
Paul