[SEL] SEL Digest, Vol 59, Issue 5

Best, George George_Best at adp.com
Thu Feb 5 13:25:48 PST 2009

I had a 1937 English Fordson for many years.

That particular model could be bought as gasoline version, a kerosene
version, or fuel oil version.

The kerosene and oil versions were started on gasoline and then after
the engine warmed up you could switch to the other fuel tank and run on
a cheaper fuel.  The main difference between the kerosene and oil models
was the material the heat exchanger was made out of.

I ran mine on diesel after it warmed up.  It still used the sparkplug to
ignite it as it wasn't a high compression engine.  It ran quite well on
diesel and actually ran better on diesel than if you tried to run it on
gasoline after it warmed up.

George