[SEL] Way OT...2002 Avalanche 1500 front differential

Dave Otto ddotto at cableone.net
Sat Dec 12 07:09:30 PST 2009

Hi Rick

I have a 2002 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton PU; probably the same drive train as the
Avalanche.

I had my front differential repaired under warranty due to a poor bearing
retainer design. The way I understand there are some lock plates with tabs
that get bent down to secure the bearings. I guess the tabs brake off and
you then loose the preload on the assy. Mine started out with a very faint
tic, tic, tic, when turning a corner at low speed. I got it into that dealer
right away and they repaired it.

I'm pretty sure they now have redesigned bearing retainers; so you will want
to be sure to get them.

Because I didn't do the work; I can't answer your question about how hard of
a job it is.

Dave
In cold snowy Idaho