[SEL] Way OT...2002 Avalanche 1500 front differential

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Sat Dec 12 05:34:09 PST 2009

  I'm at loss here gang and need some advice.  My grandson's 2002 Avalanche
1500, with small V-8 has a terrible sound in the front end..both in 2wd and
worse in 4wd.  I believe I've found the problem with the left output(flange)
on the front differential.  The axial play on that flange is well over a
quarter of an inch.  The differential assy. looks to be a straight up remove
and replace but was wondering if anyone on the list has had the same
encounter and if there were any surprises.

  The internet is not much help...a shop manual costs 120 rockets.

Today I will drain the diff. fluid and see if it's throwing metal.

Any help is APPRECIATED,
RickinMt.