[SEL] United States Motors Corp. genset/Update

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Fri Dec 11 07:29:53 PST 2009

Hi Doug, JB and Brad,
         I think that I have have managed to correctly identify the engine
as a Briggs Model B (2-3 H.P.). This after studying the manuals as well as
this page on Asecc's site:

<http://www.asecc.com/data/briggs/engnotes.html>

         It is bigger than the Model A but smaller than the K, Z, and ZZ.
It also has the removable drive side bearing housing (not present on the A)
but not the detachable cylinder as the K, Z and ZZ have.

         I also took the head off and the bore measures 2.6475"  (Standard
for the "B"  is 2.625") so this one had been bored out.

         Another surprise awaited once I had the head off - No Crankshaft.
The person who had modified it had replaced the crank with a straight shaft
and thereby reduced the engine to a "bearing block" for the genny.

         I do know of 2 "Z" engines lying in an open yard about 500 miles
away and have contacted the owner (also a collector) to see if they are
repairable. If so, I may get them and replace the "B" with one of them.
Failing that I will couple the genny up to a small Lister "as is"
(including the present "bearing block" Briggs) and show it like that - all
part of it's history after all  !! At least the genny and it's very nice
"control box' will be saved and will go into retirement in my shed.

         Thanks for your help and interest.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>