[SEL] Mt. Wilson?????

Larry Evans lfevans at pacbell.net
Sun Aug 30 19:34:41 PDT 2009

Dave and all,

I have been monitoring the situation closely and get conflicting reports.

The Observatory is definitely threatened by fire but the degree of threat
depends on who you listen to.  I do know the fire has gotten as close as
two miles and then seemed to retreat some.  Since all the TV and radio
broadcast towers for the Los Angeles basin are located on the same ridge
and adjacent to the Observatory you would think that if the area was in
immediate danger of burning the newscasters would spend lots of time
covering the area but they will mention the possibility and then move on to
something important like baseball scores or ???

For what I consider reliable information go to:
http://www.mtwilson.edu/
and about half way down on the left click on "Station" fire threatens Mt.
Wilson.  This is current information written by the Director of the
Observatory who is in contact with the two staff persons that are there to
aid the fire crews that have been there since yesterday clearing brush and
doing all they can to help defend the area.

All the main buildings are as fire proof as the technology of 1910 provided
for with concrete construction, corrugated steel roofs, metal shutters on
the windows, etc.  In my estimation if a fire were to sweep through there
should be minimal damage as far as the telescopes are concerned.  The
powerhouse where the 1911 50 hp Fairbanks Morse Type RE is should also
provide good protection.

I will try to keep you updated as I hear anything new.

Larry Evans