[SEL] Please "hold thumbs" for me - the saga ends :-)

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Mon Aug 17 14:42:22 PDT 2009

Hi all you wonderful people out there in "old engine land",
         Thanks to all those who "held thumbs" or "crossed fingers" for me
- The Lister CS 5/1 is now safely parked (albeit still on a trailer) in my
yard. Another one (actually three - read further) saved from the "scrappie"!
         After a "nail biting", "blood sweating", "extremely anxious" 3
weeks I received a phone call at 5:45 am this morning that I could come and
load the engine(s).
         As per my previous mails on the subject, I was after 2 Lister CS
5/1 engines. Well there have been a lot of phone calls in these last two
weeks and this morning's call was the culmination of everything. They were
mine and I could go and load them.
         The "lot" consisted of two 1953 Lister CS diesels and an aircooled
3 cylinder - 33 HP @ 1800 Lister diesel of similar vintage. I was not
particularly interested in the 3 Cyl. engine ( I think it is a type HA3 but
not totally sure, as I mentioned - not my interest).
         I had previously contacted a friend who is probably South Africa's
most knowledgeable "Lister" expert and he wanted the 3 cyl. engine - BUT he
also needed a radiator cooled 5/1 to complete his collection. He asked so
nicely that I had to agree to letting him buy one of the 5/1's - so I will
only have one of them in my collection but that's O.K. - at least they have
both been saved. Isn't that what it's all about??

         I've put a few pictures here for those who would like to look:
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/evans/lister51/index.htm>

P.S. For those who do not know - the Lister 5/1 and the Lister 6/1 is the
same engine. The engine produces (5 HP at 600 RPM) or (6 HP at 650 RPM).
According to David Edgington it was a "marketing ploy". They were
originally marketed as 5/1's and later as 6/1's. Same engine!!

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>